HBO Max and Comedy Central Productions Strike Programming Deal
Streamer Orders Brand New Seasons of Critically Acclaimed Series The Other Two and South Side Produced by Comedy Central Productions as Max Originals
Season One of Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Available Now on HBO Max
HBO Max has announced that the upcoming seasons of the critically acclaimed comedies The Other Two and South Side from Comedy Central Productions are joining the streaming platform as new Max Original series.
The first seasons of The Other Two and South Side will land on the platform in 2021 followed by brand new seasons to stream exclusively as Max Original series. Matching the Max Originals mandate for unique stories that speak to a younger skewing demographic,
The Other Two, created by former Saturday Night Live co-head writers, follows two millennial siblings as they navigate their teenage brother’s rise to internet fame and South Side, shot on location in Chicago’s Englewood neighborhood, is an authentic, comedic look at two friends, ready to take one world, once they stop working at the local rent-to-own.
As part of this deal, HBO Max has become the exclusive streaming home to the semi-autobiographical comedy Awkawfina is Nora from Queens, from the Golden Globe Award Winner(R) Awkwafina (Nora Lum). Season one is available to stream now on HBO Max. Season two will premiere and air in its entirety on Comedy Central next summer before becoming available on HBO Max.
(Full program descriptions below.)
“These ground-breaking and hilarious programs are cultural touchstones and we are excited about the diverse group of comedic voices they will bring to HBO Max. We know our audiences will want to watch again and again,” said Michael Quigley, EVP Content Acquisitions, WarnerMedia. “We are strategically thinking of the fans first, and adding these exceptional series to our portfolio allows us to introduce these standout comedies to new viewers on HBO Max.”
“Comedy Central Productions’ deal with HBO Max is emblematic of our studio production strategy to maximize the value of our content by selectively working with third parties while prioritizing franchise IP for our own platforms,” said Keyes Hill-Edgar, Chief Operating Officer, ViacomCBS Entertainment and Youth Brands. “As we shift our strategy and double down on adult animation, topical shows and scripted movies – we are excited to supercharge our studio sales business and continue these great series with HBO Max.”
THE OTHER TWO
Cary, an aspiring actor and his sister Brooke, a former professional dancer, try to find their place in the world while wrestling with their feelings about their 13-year-old brother Chase’s sudden rise to internet fame.
Created by former Saturday Night Live co-head writers Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, the series stars Drew Tarver, Helene Yorke, Case Walker, Ken Marino and Molly Shannon. Executive producers are Lorne Michaels, Kelly, Schneider, Andrew Singer and Tony Hernandez. Produced by Comedy Central Productions, Jax Media and Broadway Video.
South Side follows two friends who just graduated from community college and are ready to take over the world. But until they do, they’re stuck working at Rent-T-Own. Shot on location in Chicago’s Englewood neighborhood, the show offers an authentic look into what life on the South Side is all about.
Created by Diallo Riddle, Bashir Salahuddin and Sultan Salahuddin, the comedy stars Sultan Salahuddin, Kareme Young, Chandra Russell and Lil Rel Howery. Executive producers are Michael Blieden, Diallo Riddle and Bashir Salahuddin. Produced by Comedy Central Productions.
AWKWAFINA IS NORA FROM QUEENS
Awkwafina (Nora Lum) stars as Nora Lin in this scripted series based on her real-life beginnings in Queens, NY. Raised alongside her cousin by her dad and grandma, Nora leans on her family as she navigates young adulthood in outer borough New York City.
Created by Awkwafina and Teresa Hsiao, the series also stars Lori Tan Chinn and BD Wong. Awkwafina is Nora from Queens is executive produced by Nora Lum, Karey Dornetto, Lucia Aniello, Teresa Hsiao, and Peter Principato and Itay Reiss of Artists First.
What shows are ALREADY cancelled this season? Check the official cancelled shows 2021/2022 list.
What shows are ALREADY renewed for next season? Check the TV shows renewed 2022-2023 list.
About The Other Two TV Show
HBO Max Renews Comedy Series THE OTHER TWO For A Third Season
First Two Seasons Now Available On HBO Max
· HBO Max announced today that the critically acclaimed Max Original comedy series from MTV Entertainment Studios, THE OTHER TWO, has been renewed for a third season.
· The ten-episode second season of THE OTHER TWO premiered on August 26th, with the season finale dropping yesterday on HBO Max. The series is created, written and executive produced by former SNL co-head writers Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider and stars Drew Tarver, Heléne Yorke, Case Walker, Ken Marino and Molly Shannon. With their pop star brother, ChaseDreams (Case Walker), officially entering retirement at the ripe old age of fourteen, Brooke and Cary (Heléne Yorke and Drew Tarver) must now contend with a new famous family member: their 53-year-old mother Pat (Molly Shannon), and her eponymous daytime talk show. Humiliated at being The Other Two yet again, they double down and make it their mission not to be.
· The season two recurring cast includes Brandon Scott Jones as Curtis, Gideon Glick as Jess, Josh Segarra as Lance, and Wanda Sykes as Shuli. Guest stars include Ali Ahn, James Anderson, Justin Bartha, Jordana Brewster, Alessia Cara, Marcia DeBonis, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Ryan Farrell, Jimmy Fowlie, Noah Galvin, Zosia Mamet, Debi Mazar, Derek Peth, Alison Rich, Tuc Watkins, Bowen Yang and Ian Ziering.
· Washington Post hailed the series as "the funniest show on TV" while Entertainment Weekly called it a "searing showbiz satire with blithe brilliance." "Variety praised it for "setting the new standard for TV comedy right now" with its "sharpness" and "soulfulness."
· THE OTHER TWO has ranked among HBO Max's most popular series since the release of season two and has seen steady growth each week as new episodes have been released.
· Suzanna Makkos, EVP, Original Comedy and Adult Animation, HBO Max quote: "Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider have created a sharp and poignant family story that is willing to show its characters' imperfections while making us laugh hysterically. It has been a true joy to welcome them and the cast to HBO Max, and I look forward to keeping them on hold with Brooke for the many conference calls to come next season."
· Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, Creators, Writers and Executive producers quote: "We are deeply sickened to see HBO Max throw their support behind a show with so many foot jokes, and absolutely thrilled that it's ours. To everyone who watched, texted, posted, told their friends to watch - thank you!!! It has been overwhelming in the best way to see our show resonate with so many people, and we are incredibly grateful to HBO Max for giving us the opportunity to spend another season with this amazing cast and crew."
· Season two credits: THE OTHER TWO is created, written and executive produced by Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider; Executive produced by Lorne Michaels; Executive produced by Andrew Singer, co-executive produced by Hilary Marx, produced by Eddie Michaels, Toye Adegboro and Kaylani Esparza for Broadway Video; Executive produced by Tony Hernandez for Jax Media; Executive Produced by Ari Pearce and Samantha Schles for MTV Entertainment Studios; Executive In Charge Tara Power for MTV Entertainment Studios. Directors include Chris Kelly, Sarah Schneider, Kim Nguyen, Mike Karnell and Charlie Gruet.
Season two of THE OTHER TWO, the critically acclaimed comedy from MTV Entertainment Studios, debuts on its new home with two new episodes THURSDAY, AUGUST 26 on HBO Max. The ten-episode Max Original series continues with two new episodes weekly on September 2, September 9, and September 16, leading up to the final two episodes of the season on September 23.
THE OTHER TWO is created, written and executive produced by former SNL co-head writers Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider and stars Drew Tarver ("Bajillion Dollar Propertie$"), Heléne Yorke ("HBO's High Maintenance," "Masters of Sex"), Case Walker, Ken Marino ("Party Down") and Molly Shannon (HBO's "The White Lotus," "Divorce"). With their pop star brother, ChaseDreams (Case Walker), officially entering retirement at the ripe old age of fourteen, Brooke and Cary (Heléne Yorke and Drew Tarver) must now contend with a new famous family member: their 53-year-old mother Pat (Molly Shannon), and her eponymous daytime talk show. Humiliated at being The Other Two yet again, they double down and make it their mission not to be.
Recurring cast includes Brandon Scott Jones as "Curtis," Gideon Glick as "Jess," Josh Segarra as "Lance" and Wanda Sykes as "Shuli." Guest stars include Ali Ahn, James Anderson, Justin Bartha, Jordana Brewster, Alessia Cara, Marcia DeBonis, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Ryan Farrell, Jimmy Fowlie, Noah Galvin, Zosia Mamet, Debi Mazar, Derek Peth, Alison Rich, Tuc Watkins, Bowen Yang and Ian Ziering.
Season two of THE OTHER TWO is executive produced by Lorne Michaels; Executive produced by Andrew Singer, produced by Eddie Michaels, Toye Adegboro and Kaylani Esparza for Broadway Video; Executive produced by Tony Hernandez for Jax Media. Directors include Chris Kelly, Sarah Schneider, Kim Nguyen, Mike Karnell and Charlie Gruet.
Season one of THE OTHER TWO originally aired on Comedy Central and debuted as a Max Original series in April. All episodes of season one are available to stream on HBO Max.
The Other Two is created by, written by and executive produced by Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, who recently departed Saturday Night Live after serving as co-head writers during one of the series' most memorable seasons. The series stars Drew Tarver (Bajillion Dollar Propertie$) as a 28-year-old actor struggling to get better auditions than "Man At Party Who Smells Fart," and Heléne Yorke (Masters of Sex) as his 30-year-old sister, who is struggling in general. As the two work toward finding themselves, their lives are completely upended when their 13-year-old brother, ChaseDreams played by Case Walker, becomes incredibly famous overnight. The Other Two will also feature Molly Shannon, who plays the siblings' fame-ready mother, and Ken Marino (Party Down), as ChaseDreams newly-hired manager.
The Other Two is created by, written by and executive produced by Kelly and Schneider. In addition to Lorne Michaels, Andrew Singer from Broadway Video serves as an executive producer. Broadway Video's Hilary Marx is a co-executive producer with Kaylani Esparza serving as co-producer. The series is also executive produced by Tony Hernandez of Jax Media. Sarah Babineau, Ari Pearce and Samantha Schles are the Executives in Charge of Production for Comedy Central.Keep track of the cancel/renew status of all your favorite TV shows. Discover and bookmark our cancelled shows 2021 list and renewed shows 2021-2022 database.
Wondering how your other HBO Max shows are doing? Check out the HBO Max 2021 TV scorecard page, where you can find the cancel/renew status of all HBO Max TV shows!
How do you feel about this latest The Other Two news? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below and don’t forget to stay tuned for all the renew/cancel 2021-2022 and beyond news!