HBO Max Acquires Exclusive Streaming Rights to Peabody Award-Winning Drama DAVID MAKES MAN
Season One To Be Available On The Streaming Platform July 16
Season One of OWN and Warner Horizon Scripted Television’s Peabody Award-winning series DAVID MAKES MAN, a one-hour lyrical drama created by Academy Award(R)-winning screenwriter and Tony Award-nominated playwright Tarell Alvin McCraney (“Moonlight”), will be available to stream on HBO Max starting July 16.
The series centers on David, a 14-year-old prodigy from the projects who is haunted by the death of his closest friend and relied upon by his hardworking mother to find a way out of poverty. He must choose between the streets that raised him or the higher education that may offer him a way out. Set in South Florida, the series is inspired by events in McCraney’s own life and explores childhood trauma and the power of imagination to survive. In addition to the winning the Peabody Award, the critically acclaimed first season of “David Makes Man” received a Critics’ Choice Award nomination for Best Drama, a prestigious Gotham Award nomination, and was named to several critics’ year-end “best of television” lists for 2019. The show has been renewed for a second season by OWN.
Akili McDowell (“Billions,” “The Astronaut Wives Club”) stars in the title role of David alongside Alana Arenas (“Head of Passes”), Isaiah Johnson (“Hamilton”), Ade Chike Torbert (“East Los High”), Travis Coles (“Liza on Demand”), Cayden K. Williams (“Girls Trip”), Nathaniel Logan McIntyre (“Magic Camp”), Jordan Bolger (“Peaky Blinders”), with Emmy(R) nominee/Tony winner Phylicia Rashad (“Creed” films, “Empire,” “The Cosby Show”). Tony winner and Emmy/Golden Globe nominee Ruben Santiago-Hudson (“Lackawanna Blues,” “The Quad,” “Billions”), Elvis Nolasco (“American Crime”), Gillian Williams (“The Girlfriend Experience”), Juanita Jennings (“Star”), Liza Colón-Zayas (“Proven Innocent”), Lindsey Blackwell (“Step Sisters”), Lela Rochon (“Training Day”), Teshi Thomas (“Raven’s Home”) and Nick Creegan all appear in recurring roles.
McCraney serves as executive producer of the series alongside Dee Harris-Lawrence (“Shots Fired,” “Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac and The Notorious B.I.G.”), who serves as showrunner. Mike Kelley and Melissa Loy (“Revenge”), Michael B. Jordan (“Just Mercy”) and Oprah Winfrey are also executive producers. The series is produced by Page Fright, Outlier Society Productions and Harpo Films in association with Warner Horizon Scripted Television.
What shows are ALREADY cancelled this season? Check the official cancelled shows 2021/2022 list.
What shows are ALREADY renewed for next season? Check the TV shows renewed 2022-2023 list.
About David Makes Man TV Show
"David Makes Man Season 2" (Premieres Tuesday, June 22nd from 9-10 p.m. ET/PT)
Season two finds David in his 30s (played by Kwame Patterson, "Snowfall," "The Wire"), a rising businessman facing an opportunity that will change him and his community forever. The mounting pressure forces David to choose between the instincts that helped him survive or finding a new way to truly live. Production returned to Orlando, Florida and commenced filming in October 2020.
About "David Makes Man"
The Peabody Award-winning series produced by Warner Bros. Television, also received a Critics' Choice Award nomination for "Best Drama," a prestigious Gotham Award nomination, and has been named to several critics' 2019 year-end "best of television" lists. "David Makes Man" premiered to overwhelming critical acclaim in August 2019. The New York Times called the show "deeply beautiful and distinctive" while The Washington Post called it "one of the most original and riveting TV shows this year." During its first season run, the series ranked #2 in its time period across all cable with African-American women and reached over 4.1 million unique viewers on OWN. Season two fast-forwards and finds David in his 30s (played by Kwame Patterson, "Snowfall," "The Wire"), a rising businessman facing an opportunity that will change him and his community forever; the mounting pressure forces David to choose between the instincts that helped him survive or finding a new way to truly live. The adult versions of David and his brother JG played by Patterson and Arlen Escarpeta join returning series regulars Akili McDowell, Alana Arenas, Travis Coles and Cayden K. Williams for season two. Season 1 is available to stream on HBO Max Here.
David Makes Man
New Recurring Cast Includes:
· Tony Plana ("Ugly Betty," "The Affair") plays 'Joe Padilla,' billionaire real estate developer who brings David an ambitious opportunity, under the guise of redevelopment.
· Brittany S. Hall ("Ballers") plays 'Nicole,' a sophisticated and honest architect who has been dating David but loves her freedom as well.
· Erica Lutrell ("Westworld," "Salvation") plays 'Adult Marissa,' a Miami-based marine biologist, activist, and protector of the land and sea. When her former middle school friend-turned-nemesis further threatens the ecological balance of South Florida, Marissa sets out to prove that corporate greed is toxic for everyone.
· Zsane' Jhe' ("Good Trouble," "Black Lightning") 'Adult Shella,' an entrepreneur extraordinaire. She leads the charge for the residents of The Ville in the fight against the real estate redevelopment company trying to gentrify their homes.
· Bobbi Baker ("House of Payne'') plays 'Robin,' Gloria's loyal and level partner. Together they run Robin's Nest in Little Havana, a foster home for LGBTQ+ youth.
· Patrice Arenas ("Celestial") plays 'Denise,' an office assistant at the Edwards Firm (where David works). She keeps things moving at the office while also learning the moods and tempo of her boss.
· Trinity Cidel plays 'Trenise,' the gifted daughter of David's brother, JG. She is calm, introspective, and more like her uncle David than her own father.
· Brandi Huzzie ("The Demon in the Dark") is cast as 'Trisha,' the long-time girlfriend of JG and mother of his child. Together they raise their daughter Trenise.
· Rodney Gardiner ("The Warriors") plays 'Corey Roberts,' a Miami district commissioner and politician. Corey offers to work with David and Joe to help push their Ville redevelopment project, but they will have to do it his way.
· Janmarco Santiago ("The Fate of the Furious") plays 'Elan,' Joe Padilla's entitled nephew and David's unrequested assistant.
The new recurring cast members join the previously announced new series regulars Kwame Patterson ("Snowfall," "The Wire") as adult David and Arlen Escarpeta ("The Oath") as David's brother, the adult JG, alongside returning series regulars Akili McDowell (young David), Alana Arenas (David's mom Gloria), Travis Coles (Mx. Elijah) and Cayden K. Williams (young JG) for season two.
Additionally, Kiel Adrian Scott ("David Makes Man," "The Bobby Brown Story"), returns from the series' first season to direct five episodes in season two. Erica Watson ("The L Word," "Claws") also takes on five episodes in the ten-episode season.Keep track of the cancel/renew status of all your favorite TV shows. Discover and bookmark our cancelled shows 2021 list and renewed shows 2021-2022 database.
Wondering how your other OWN shows are doing? Check out the OWN 2021 TV scorecard page, where you can find the cancel/renew status of all OWN TV shows!
How do you feel about this latest David Makes Man news? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below and don’t forget to stay tuned for all the renew/cancel 2021-2022 and beyond news!
Leave a Reply